Follow Mad Dog Mike Marrion as he rides his Harley on a motorcycle adventure to California.


Day 23 - June 24, 2012
Lake Charles, LA to Bay St. Louis, MS
330 miles

When I got up at 0500 in Lake Charles, LA, I went outside to check on the bike and get some coffee. My glasses instantly fogged up and I couldnít see a thing. Checking the weather channel it was 85% humidity. I donít think I have time to go back to Utah before Iím supposed to be home.

I got the bike loaded up and took my time as I didnít have a huge plan for the day and got eastbound at 0700.

At 0800 I saw a sign for Cajun Harley Davidson so I pulled off the interstate to take a look. Beautiful showroom, but obviously closed at that time on a Sunday.

An hour later I stopped for fuel and breakfast at Grosse Tete, LA. Iím sure it means something, but I didnít ask. I tried taking a picture of the tiger that inhabits the place, but he was holed up out of the heat.

By 1045 I could feel the effects of heat exhaustion coming on and pulled off in the burg of Robert, LA. I got some ice water, pulled off the leather jacket, slathered exposed skin with sun block and put on the cooling vest. It was much better, but this is the first time on this adventure where sweat just poured out while standing still and doing nothing.

I wanted to avoid New Orleans so I stayed on I-12 to the north. I couldnít resist taking a ride across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway and it was well worth the $3 toll as I will never be out this way again. That took me a lot closer to New Orleans than I planned, but I made my way back to Hwy 90 and entered Mississippi at the Pearl River bridge that was severely damaged when I was there in 2005.

I rode through the little town of Pearlington and some of the homes had been replaced since Katrina, but others were no longer there. I rode around the area I had been in seven years ago and it was quite an experience. Many homes and businesses had been rebuilt, but many vacant lots existed where someoneís residence was obliterated off the foundation. I went by the Waveland Police department and spoke to an officer that was here when Katrina hit and it was like we had a reunion.

By 1600 and 330 miles, I was exhausted and holed up in a motel in Bay St. Louis, MS. I went to a local restaurant that had been wiped off the map, ďTrapany EateryĒ and had a great meal. I spoke with a couple who inquired about my adventure and how I came to pass through Waveland/Bay St. Louis. I relayed the story and they thanked me for coming. They left before I finished my meal and when I went to pay my bill I learned they had taken care of it for my service to their community after the disaster. My faith in humanity was significantly restored. I donít know who they were, but I certainly appreciated their generosity.

Although it was an almost unbearably hot and humid day, it was an exceptional one in many respects too. This adventure is winding down and I am looking forward to being back home with my lovely bride who has been so supportive and my doggies. The only obstacle remaining is to dodge the unpredictable tropical storm Debby that is being discussed on the weather channel over the next few days.